Why 30 Was My Favorite Year
Last week I turned 31, and I was sad to see 30 go. Before now, I would’ve said my favorite age was maybe 22 or 24, but 30 just blew it out of the water. Everyone kept telling me once I turned 30, I’d feel different, better somehow. It sounded crazy, but it was totally true. Things just fell into place. Here are my favorite things about this past year:
- Relaunching the blog
- Changing jobs and helping to open the new University Medical Center – seeing the first patient arrive is an experience I won’t ever forget
- Having an article published on a national site for the first time!
- Finally finding a credit card that actually works for the thing I do most, which is travel – it gives me insurance when I rent a car in another city, covers me if I have to stay in a hotel due to a delayed flight, and there are no foreign transaction fees
- Throwing Justin a surprise 30th bday party
- Somewhat figuring out my retirement savings plan – how much I should be putting away and to which accounts – this hasn’t been easy or obvious for me! I did a lot of reading and finally decided to open an HSA along with my high-deductible health plan. I do as much as my employer matches into my 403B and the rest goes into my HSA.
- Being featured on iHeartnola.com
- Making my Halloween costume with a friend
- Going on my first (and second) cruises
- TRAVEL always!… to Austin, Key West, Costa Rica, NYC x2, cruising x2, Los Angeles, Little Rock, summer beach trips, Dallas, Houston, and Nashville
- Discovering Marianne Williamson’s weekly talks
All photos by Trevor Mark.
Currently Listening To:
This week is Jenn’s birthday week – she turns 30 on Saturday! We picked old school dance jams this week; listen on Spotify!
- “Don’t Stop..Planet Rock” – Afrika Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force
- “Let the Music Play” – Shannon
- “I Know You Got Soul” – Eric B. & Rakim
- “Funky Little Beat” – Debbie Deb
- “Holiday” – Madonna
- “I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)” – Whitney Houston
- “Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now” – McFadden & Whitehead
- “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)” – Michael Jackson